Internet / Web Security
Safeguard your online actitivites for both your business and your home with the following highly recommended internet security solutions:
Comprehensive Internet Security Software
- Avast Antivirus Software - Highly rated by industry, includes Antivirus kernel, Virus Chest, Resident protection, Script blocker, Command-line scanner, P2P and IM Shields, Integrated Virus Cleaner, Network Shield, Support for 64-bit Windows, Web Shield, Internationalization. (The Home Edition is Free.)
- AVG Anti-Virus and Internet Security Another highly rated internet security suite, includes Anti-Virus protections from viruses, worms and trojans, Anti-Spyware protection from spyware, adware and other malicious programs, Anti-Spam filters spam and protects against phishing attacks, Firewall protection from hackers.
- CA Internet Security Suite 2007 - including CA Anti-Spyware and CA Anti-Virus! - Prevent Theft of Personal Data, Stops Virus, Worms, Trojans, Spyware, Blocks 100% of Spam, Prevents Hacker attacks, Blocks Pop Ups, Protects against Identity Theft, includes Parental Control of Internet Access.
- Kaspersky Internet Security 6.0 - Updates up to every hour leads the industry in response time and detection rates! - a fully integrated security solution that combines reactive detection methods with the latest proactive technologies, protecting your PC from viruses, hacker attacks, spam and spyware. Seamless integration of all product components (including a personal firewall) eliminates system conflicts and provides fast performance.
- Norton Internet Security 2007 - The Symantec Norton Internet Security Suite provides essential protection from viruses, hackers and privacy threats. This suite includes Norton AntiVirus, Norton Personal Firewall, Norton Privacy Control, Norton AntiSpam and Norton Parental Control. You may also wish to consider Norton SystemWorks 2007 10.0 Standard Edition for system-wide diagnostics, maintenance and repairs.
- ZoneAlarm Internet Security Suite- Highly Recommended. Includes Network and Program Firewall, Operating System Firewall (OSFirewall), Integrated Anti-Spyware and Antivirus, SmartDefense Service, Identity Theft Protection, Email Security, Anti-Spam and Anti-Phishing, IM Protection and Parental Control, Automatic Wireless Security.
Secure Shell (SSH) / Secure Telnet - (Free)
Whichever SSH program you choose to use to access your web hosting account on our systems, configure it for SSH Protocol Version 2.
- PuTTY Secure Shell (SSH) - Highly Recommended. PuTTY is a free Win32 Telnet/SSH (Secure Shell) client that permits a high-level of encryption when logging into localhost.
- PenguiNet - PenguiNet is another free Win32 Telnet/SSH (Secure Shell) client that permits a high-level of encrytion when logging into localhost. (Note: This web site is often blocked in China. In order to access it, you will need to configure your web browser to use a proxy server.)
- NiftyTelnet - NiftyTelnet is the MAC version for encypted terminal sessions using SSH (Secure Shell).
Secure Copy / Secure FTP - (Free)
- WinSCP (Secure FTP) - Highly Recommended. WinSCP is a freeware SCP (Secure CoPy) client for Windows 95/98/NT/2000/XP using SSH (Secure Shell). We recommend that you use WinSCP instead of a standard FTP program as the connections are significantly more secure.
The Internet Security Suites mentioned above also include Firewall Software that you may wish to consider. We've been using ZoneAlarm for quite a number of years, and have found its performance excellent.
- ZoneAlarm - Highly Recommended. ZoneAlarm offers a free, easy-to-use firewall program that blocks hackers and other various online threats. And check out their ZoneAlarm Pro program for a mother-of-all firewalls.
The Internet Security Suites mentioned above also include AntiVirus Software that you may wish to consider. We've been using Norton (Symantec) for quite a number of years, and can recommend both it and ZoneAlarm's AntiVirus software.
- ZoneAlarm AntiVirus - Provides instant protection against viruses, worms, Trojan horses, and identity-theft tools and protects against emerging viruses before they attack.
- Norton AntiVirus 2007 - Maximize system protection against viruses without interrupting work or slowing down the system, with Norton AntiVirus from Symantec. It protects email, instant messages and other files by automatically removing viruses, worms and Trojan horses. Norton Internet Worm Protection stops certain damaging Internet worms at their attempted point of entry while the QuickScan tool automatically searches for and removes viruses whenever new virus protection updates are downloaded. In addition, the PreInstall Scan quickly detects and removes infections that can interfere with installing and launching Norton AntiVirus. The Worm Blocking and Script Blocking feature detects threats even before virus protection updates are created for them. It even scans compressed file archives before you open them and risk infecting your computer.
SpyWare / AdWare / PopUp Killers
Spam Assassin - (Included with our web hosting accounts.)
Spam Assassin is a mail filter that identifies spam and junk mail using text analysis. Using its rule base, it uses a wide range of heuristic tests on mail headers and body text to identify spam or unsolicited commercial email. On the 'Plusmail' accounts, you can configure its settings via the "Options" page of your web-based email: http://YourDomainName.com/webmail On the Ensim accounts, login to your "user" web control panel (http://Your DomainName.com/user), and select "Spam Filtering."
Email Security - (Our recommended approach.)
In order to 1) reduce the amount of spam e-mail you may receive/download, 2) reduce the probability of receiving e-mail born viruses and 3) lessen the effects of any viruses should they still manage to download to your computer, we strongly recommend the following procedures:
- Use your webmail program (http://YourDomainName.com/webmail) to examine your incoming messages first before downloading them to your e-mail client. By looking at the Sending Addresses and the Subject Headings via your webmail program, you may conveniently delete any unnecessary e-mail before downloading them.
- Setup and configure your anti-spam (Spam Assassin) settings by logging into webmail, clicking on "Options" and then clicking on "Spam Filter Configuration." (Note: On the Ensim accounts, login to your "user" web control panel (http://Your DomainName.com/user), and select "Spam Filtering.") Follow the directions provided to fine-tune your anti-spam settings.
- By default, your account is configured with a catch-all e-mail service, meaning that e-mail addressed to AnyNameWhatSoEver@YourDomainName.com will be delievered to your default POP e-mail account: YourDomainName@YourDomainName.com. In order to reduce the amount of spam you may receive, you may want to remove this feature. To remove this feature, login to your Web Control Panel, then click on "Email Forwarding" and follow the directions provided.
- Install an Anti-Virus program (such as Norton AntiVirus or ZoneAlarm AntiVirus) on your computer. Configure it to examine every message you download.
- Do NOT use Microsoft's Outlook as your e-mail client. Instead, you should use Eudora, available for free from http://www.eudora.com.
ID Protect - Shield Your Identity- (Included with our domain name registration service.)
ID protect works in the same way as having your phone number "unlisted." It prevents people from gaining access to your address, phone number and other sensitive information as displayed in your publicly available Whois Domain Name Registration Record. If you register your domain name with us, then you have the option of substituting our contact info for your domain's Whois record. There are no additional fees. Just send us an email and we will take care of this for you.
If you are interested in having your own SSL Certificate for your e-commerce shopping cart and other secure online communications, then contact us for discount pricing. We offer both Secure Business Services and GeoTrust SSL Certificates.